Monday, November 26, 2012

Random Thoughts - Love_Lust

There is an interesting essay in The New Yorker on Tolstoy's Anna Karenina. I suppose the author is basically making a point that Anna Karenina is indeed a love story and not a lust story so presented in a latest movie based on the novel.

I read the novel seventeen years ago. I suppose classics are wasted on teenagers. I don't remember anything from the novel except for that one scene.

Anna was planning to return home after visiting her brother's. Her nephews and nieces were very much attached to her. So one day before the departure she became aloof to them. When they felt that their aunt no longer gave them any attention they also withdrew from her.

I don't know why but I remember this.

Regarding the character Anna, I suppose, she is a regular heterosexual and heteroamoural woman. But I thought Emma Bovary was a more rounded character than Anna. Maybe I can understand Emma better as she also comes from a middle class family where money is a constant requirement. In fact, her tragedy is her misfortune with money even though according to my understanding she shouldn't be succumbing to materialist addiction. Anna's story I can only read as a distant observer as I don't have the background to relate.

2 comments:

anilkurup59 said...


I'm mot capable in dissecting
Anna, Lady Chatterly, Madame Bovary or Jane Eyre.

But then love and lust are they not relative, complimentary and supplementary in relationships?

Manju Edangam said...

Love and lust can work as complementary in a relationship but they need not to as they are independent phenomena in our brain. Or these relative/complementary/supplementary are expectations and not really hardwired in the brain.